training, technical support
for SGML, XML, content management, production,
Francis Cave Digital Publishing
was established in September 1999 with the aim of delivering a range of XML
consultancy, training, system design and implementation services. It is the
trading name of Francis Cave, an SGML/XML expert with more than twenty years'
experience in the field.
The range of services currently on offer includes:
- advice on all aspects of the use of XML in publishing, including:
- strategic reviews, technical audits, feasibility studies and
business case development
- project design, including DTD, schema and stylesheet design and
- data capture and conversion methods
- editorial, content management and production system selection,
integration and configuration
- processing XML for paper-based delivery
- processing XML for online and other modes of electronic
- introductory and advanced training in XML editing, DTD and schema
- quality assurance in XML publishing projects
Recent and current development projects in which Francis has or is
played a leading role include:
- configuration of FrameMaker templates for production of UK
Parliamentary documents (Amendments to Parliamentary Bills)
- specification of a Word-to-XML workflow for production of UK
Parliamentary documents (including the House of Commons Order Paper)
- development of XML DTDs, schemas and associated XSLT scripts for
global e-commerce trading standards for the book and serials industries,
including the ONIX and EDItX families of XML formats published by EDItEUR and a series of web service
standards published by Book Industry
- development, in collaboration with
Griffin Brown Digital Publishing
Ltd, of an open source tool to enable the creation of XML expressions of
publications licenses in EDItEUR's ONIX-PL format see the
Sourceforge OPLE Project.
- development of software tools for checking the use of styles in Word files,
and for converting them to DocBook and EPUB.
- development of software tools for importing XML content into Adobe InDesign
documents, enabling more controlled placement of content within a document
and the ability to import updated XML content without disrupting document
Francis Cave chairs IST/41, the Technical Committee of BSI
responsible for a range of XML standards associated with document description and processing. In
October 2017 he was appointed Chair of the corresponding international standards committee
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 Document description and
processing languages, which is involved in the maintenance of several important international
standards, including the XML schema languages RELAX NG and Schematron, and specifications for the
office document file formats used by popular software tools such as Microsoft Office, OpenOffice
and LibreOffice, and more recently the EPUB 3.0 specification.
Also on this site ...
Other websites that I host ...